Yesterday, I posted about Farmer Girl and her animals. Today, I thought I would spend time telling you about The Scribbler and why she picked this name. She has always loved to doodle and does it on everything including the edges of her schoolwork. I worry that she looks like she isn't paying attention especially since she doesn't usually doodle or scribble about the topic at hand. However, she can usually tell me back verbatim whatever it was I or anyone was saying to her. She has always been like this, desiring to be active while learning. I can remember as a little girl how she would twirl around in circles in the kitchen, spinning until she was dizzy, reciting poems or her multiplication tables! She has taken that excess energy and transferred it to her constant drawing, scribbling etc. when she is forced to sit still :) Unfortunately, some of her best work is done on the edge of lined notebook paper and she rarely completes anything with textures or backgrounds. She teases her dad (and he teases her right back) that he only ever tells her "very nice" when she shows him her work. He encourages her to use a sketchpad (of which she has many) and to COMPLETE! She has begun to work harder to impress him and get more than a "very nice". (Please note that any and all of her talent MUST come from her dad, not me!!!)
In addition to her doodling and scribbling, she has taken a variety of classes in different media including watercolor and pastels. The latter is her favorite by far and she has actually completed some of them! She finished the above Wood Duck in an 8 week pastel class. It was submitted to the local art museum for their young artist competition. It is currently being judged for a juried event for a local music
and arts fair coming up. She finished it, had it framed, and gave it to her dad for Christmas. This time, he said more than very nice! She also completed the Great Blue Heron, but in watercolor. This one won a blue ribbon in last years county fair as well as third place at the local art museum. It also won an Audubon Award and is currently on display at the local bird center during their April Bird Celebration. I wish I could show you some of her scribbling......She did a lovely and complete sketch on notebook paper while hearing and listening to The Tale of Despereaux that actually depicted beautifully what was going in the book. I made copies trying to rid it of the lines, but alas, to no avail. All the scribbling certainly makes my life interesting when I am grading her papers! Hope you enjoy looking at her work too.
Ellie~
In addition to her doodling and scribbling, she has taken a variety of classes in different media including watercolor and pastels. The latter is her favorite by far and she has actually completed some of them! She finished the above Wood Duck in an 8 week pastel class. It was submitted to the local art museum for their young artist competition. It is currently being judged for a juried event for a local music
Ellie~
No comments:
Post a Comment