Bob was busy while I was gone! I was out of town with my daughter, The Scribbler, last week and that is the reason for my lack of posts. (more on that later when I have time). He completely finished the hardwood flooring including the entryway. We were going to tile it or travertine it or something like that, BUT we had extra flooring and just doing the hardwood was so much easier. Now it is done. He also started work on the stairs. We have really stressed about what to do them in. We could afford neither teak nor bamboo. We considered having it done by someone else using our extra bamboo. HOWEVER, labor was still significant and the extra bamboo could just go back to Costco. So, Bob returned 14 boxes of it and used that money to pay for our porch (pictures of that later). Then we decided to use oak on the stairs, buying pre-made treads. We will probably stain them dark to match the darker color in our flooring downstairs.
But I think they look great. Those wires sticking out are for stair lights. Still need rails........

Our bedroom complete with flooring........that vanity goes in half bath.


The kitchen underwent some additions while I was gone. The refrigerator was delivered and installed. We are using it for drinks. The dishwasher and range came out of the box. Lights were hung over bar and sink. Countertop template was done. Late afternoon Sunday, we tried to place our sink in the cabinet and it didn't fit! I was leaving early Monday morning so I told Bob to just pick something else out. I was kind of bummed as we had had the sink for months, BUT a friend told me she had a sink like that and hated it. That made me feel better. We are using scrap granite on the end of the island--the pastry/dough making station :). It still needs to be cut and finished.
The sink saga continued after I left as we remembered that there was a sink included in the installment. So, I made a special trip to Lowe's from where I was to look at sinks-free ones to upgrades. Had to decide stainless steel or integrated. The integrated sink intrigued me, but when I thought about the overall look of my kitchen I decided to go with the stainless. Bob was easy either way. It will be undermounted and installed on the 23rd! with the counters.

Friday evening I made pizza in the small top oven. It turned out great and was very yummy although the cheese got a little darker than we like. No complaints here though.


I don't know how often I can post. The bank called today to tell us we have until the end of March to finish. We thought we had until end of April. So, we are dealing with a major push to finish. I don't know if we can do it. Bob has taken time off from work to get 'er done and is wearing himself out to do just that. Please pray for him and for us. Schedules are busy even though we have eliminated or tried to eliminate all unnecessary things from it. We still have the tiling of three bathrooms (two we hope to accomplish in the next 2 or 3 days) and the mudroom. Once tiled, all the plumbing trim must be done (faucets, toilets, washer dryer hook-up, hot water heater etc). Then we can also get the electrical final so we can get the county final inspection too. There are still some outlets that need attention as well as two lights to be hung--the chandelier and one vanity light. Doorknobs.......rest of doors hung once tile is in.......AND ALL of the trim needs painted and installed. We are hoping for the final that just having it on site will be enough. For the appraisal, we are not so sure...........Bob is exhausted. He eats, sleeps and breathes this house right now...waking up at night to ponder what and how to do the next thing. Will keep you posted as able. Up early to tile!
Love Ellie~
Lori! You should call the county and find out what they actually need for final inspection, it may be less than you think. We only had to have one bathroom completed, and it was okay to have a toilet in one, a sink in the other and a shower in still another! The main thing that was weird was the hand-railing, they HAD TO SEE THE HAND-RAILING! :o) MIke is going to call you or email you since he knows a little bit about your area and it's requirements. It may not be as bad as you think. Regardless I pray Godspeed and your house looks amazing! You will be so happy there!
ReplyDeleteblessings,
Carissa
Hi there,
ReplyDeleteMichael here... Carissa was showing me the progress on your house and it is looking great! Good job!!!
On the bank comment you made above... You may find if you need to buy yourselves some time (without paying fees usually associated with construction loans) that you are able to do so by getting the county to final your house before you would consider it finished.
Most banks consider the house construction completed when the final occupancy permit is issued. However, the county's definition of when the permit can be issued is based on different criteria than the bank's and even your personal hope.
For example, most counties consider that there needs to be some version of the following in order to final the house:
- a working sink in the kitchen (plumbed with running hot water)
- at least 1 working toilet somewhere in the house
- 1 working shower/bathtub somewhere in the house.
- the above three do not need to be in the same location.
- a "gripable" handrail for stairs
- etc...
You can get a final inspection checklist from the county directly.
My point is that you may be very, very close to being able to conduct a final occupancy inspection on your house and even move in if you felt like it. :)
If you had the final inspect, you may be able to convert your construction loan into the permanent loan and thus save any potential construction loan fees or extension costs. This would simply allow you more time to complete the project without killing yourself as you go.
Anyhow... just a thought... this might help you or not... but we will pray for you just the same and your place is looking great! We are all happy for you.
Michael