Monday, October 24, 2011

Knott Scary Farm

After the concert, we spent two more relaxing days at Grandma and Grandpa's house. We went out again for dinner, but this time to Chili's, to celebrate Bob's birthday. They wanted to take us to this famous ranch restaurant that serves steaks (of course, it is a Texas CATTLE ranch) and also has a petting zoo. We have been there before in years past and, although good, it is very expensive. Chili's seemed a good alternative and much closer to home. I had fajitas that were very tasty. We also spent some time shopping at Fort Bliss at their new Freedom Mall. It was very impressive and very unlike other military shopping places. Unfortunately, we also had to spend some time getting an oil change and having our tires rotated. We had put nearly 3,000 miles on the car already. After an afternoon wasted doing that, we went to Chick Fil A for milkshakes. They had seasonal peach shakes that were wonderful. Our last evening at their home, we enjoyed shrimp fettucine and then an early breakfast before driving to Phoenix. Our next stop was Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park, California and we had initially anticipated doing the entire 800 mile drive in one day. However, we decided to break it up and do about 480 miles to Phoenix on Sunday and then the remainder, 320 miles, on Monday, arriving in the LA area well before rush hour traffic. It also meant we didn't have to rush away from Grandma's house in the early dawn hours. I had spent some valuable time making reservations at the Knott's Berry Resort for Monday evening (we were able to score a discounted price at the Army Base) that would make it nice once there. We wouldn't have to get in the car and drive any more once we reached our destination. We were REALLY dreading driving in LA! I was also able to make lodging reservations on an air force base in Phoenix for Sunday evening. We had a 3 bedroom house with full kitchen and we hoped to take full advantage of it by eating in and saving money. In case, you didn't know, staying on bases can be a great benefit to being in the military as the rates are great and the savings well worth it.  The hardest part is finding availabilities,but we were very blessed on this trip.
Monday morning, we headed out around 8 AM after filling up on gas (the cheapest gas we found on the trip was $3.29) and coffee. We arrived at our resort around 1 PM. Traffic had been steady and a bit stressful at times, but we had arrived in one piece. Our room, although a bit older, was nice and a special treat for us. We drove around a bit, after all, considering the beach for a while, but ended up back at the room for a bit of swimming in the really nice pool. We ordered in pizza and enjoyed an evening of TV entertainment and an early bedtime in preparation for our day at the amusement park.
Being October, Knott's Berry Farm had started their special fall event called the Knott Scary Farm. However, although there were several decorations for this, some scary and some silly, the event was actually taking place in the evening after dark. For us, things were pretty normal. We awoke to a lovely morning, blue skies and warm temps.  We entered the park (also using discounted tickets purchased on base) as soon as it opened. We wanted to take advantage of all the hours since they close early in the off season.
Unexpectedly, I had to run back to the hotel, so they started without me. By the time I had returned, they had ridden the Ghostrider once and The Silver Bullet twice. They assured me it wasn't bad although your feet dangle down into open space and you go upside down and around a corkscrew a number of times! (see pictures at bottom of blog). I tried it and although I screamed the entire time and couldn't bear to open my eyes, I consented to do it again because it was actually fun. The crowds were so minimal that they just let us stay on! This time, I opened my eyes, but not for long. This time, while riding, The Graduate felt something between her shoulder and the strap. As she pressed against it during a turn, it stung her. It was a wasp who had found an unlikely place for himself. So, at the end of this ride, we disembarked. We were able to find a first aid and security guy who gave her some sting-eze. I, however, felt very nauseous and it did not subside for the rest of the morning. I was unable to ride any more roller coasters, but did not begrudge them their fun. There were many more to enjoy. I don't know why I felt so bad, but I have found that swings and things like this bother me much more than when I was younger.
Here they are on the Supreme Scream BEFORE even going up. It was kind of like the Tower of Terror at Walt Disney World where you go really high and then just drop a couple hundred feet, then up and down a couple more times. They did this several times too. I watched.

I finally felt well enough to try the log ride....brought back many memories of Six Flags over Georgia. When I was growing up, I spent many summers at my sister's house. She would drop us off at Six Flags in the morning and pick us up at closing (oh, the times have changed. I wouldn't do that now with my children, but then we felt perfectly safe). We would ride the wooden roller coaster over and over again, standing in line for hours in the heat of a Georgia summer. It was especially fun at night and we would always do it one last time 
before going home. The log ride was our second favorite and a great way to cool down.
 
We also did the calm river ride one that turns in circles.....they let us stay on that one for two rides. It was a great day to be in the park. No lines, no crowds and perfect weather.

Farmer Girl at our prompting, went on this one below called the X-hilarator. Enjoy the pictures. You will understand why most sane persons would not ride this one once you see them!
Her going up......
down.......
....and around.
Exhilaration? Relief? I can't tell. I was relieved she arrived back in one piece!

This Side Winder was interesting as it turned around and around while going up and down and around the track. Kind of like Teacups on a roller coaster track. No thanks. Just thinking about Teacups made me nauseous!
There were others that I didn't get pictures of, but if you like roller coasters, this is the place for you! Due to the lack of crowds, the girls and Bob were actually ready to go much earlier than anticipated. Once we figured out that leaving early would get us a headstart on the nasty rush hour traffic, we encouraged the girls to finish up and repeat any roller coasters one last time. They chose the one from the morning that had made me sick. I abstained, of course. Perhaps you will now understand why.

This is where you reach the top and the platform below you ends so your feet are just hanging into space.



The loop de loop or corkscrew whichever you prefer.
More of the same....over and over again. They did it FOUR more times!
There they are below in the 4th row. They only stopped because they thought we were ready to leave.
We left around 3 or 4 and survived the traffic although it was ugly, particularly the motorcycles who would weave in and out and between the stopped or slow moving cars. We made good time and were out of the bad part by 530 when we started looking for food. We ended up driving all the way to Barstow for a room, hoping to get within a couple hours of Yosemite. Once there, we enjoyed dinner at In N'Out-burgers, of course. You know you are in California, if you are eating there. YUM. Cheap and good eats.
We had a great time at Knott's Berry Farm and enjoyed having the day together as a family outside of the car. Headed to Yosemite tomorrow, we will soon be home. Hope you're enjoying the ride. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment