Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Sunday Shoot Out

Sunday afternoon, we were able to sneak away for some shooting in the hills above our small town. Our friend's youngest daughter really enjoys using her 20 gauge shotgun or as her mom says, she really likes to shoot with it, but hates to kill anything. She has been hunting with her dad a few times for grouse, but without any luck. A number of times, they have invited us along for target practice, but we haven't been able to make it. Our oldest, The Graduate, has been wanting to go out and shoot as well ever since she had the opportunity to do so last fall in Georgia. (I don't think I ever blogged about that or did I????) We were finally able to squeeze in some time, but just a little, right between a wonderful lunch with them at their home after church, and before a College Ready teen event at our house that afternoon. Here we are below trying our hand at a number of different firearms. You will notice I did little shooting with a gun, but mostly with my camera :)

Preparing our ears for the loud noises. 
There was another group near us shooting with an immense amount of different firearms (some looked rather scary like AK-47's? or M-16's). I am not very good at all at distinguishing between the different types and, in fact, had to ask my Bob to tell me what each of the following pictures were!
This one belongs to the green jacketed girl with her back to us (unfortunately, this may be the only picture I have of her! That is a shame as she was the impetus for going too). We are pretty certain it is a 20 gauge shotgun. That is her sister getting ready to try it out. She was home from college for a 3 day weekend due to Veteran's Day.
 Ready! Aim! and Fire!
Checking out her target. 
The other family group sharing the field had more sophisticated targets. We had milk jugs with orange stickers and some other things. We also had clay pigeons, but we had to leave before we got to try them out. Did you know they aren't remotely similar to pigeons in shape? They are merely circles!
 This 30-06 Rifle looks a bit scary to me.
Big smile. Perhaps she hit the target?
Farmer Girl trying out the 22 Rifle.
And here with the 22 lever action rifle. 
She also tried the 20 gauge shotgun, but the kick hurt her shoulder and she didn't want to shoot anymore after that.
20 gauge shotgun

The 30-06 (the thirty ott six)
I finally was convinced to try the 22 pistol (I always thought that 22's were only shotguns or rifles....can you tell I am not real clear on my gun language or knowledge?) I don't think I hit anything.....
Now both the moms can say they tried it, but then went back to shooting something safer, our cameras!
The Graduate on the other hand was having a blast and hated to quit. She would like to own a 9 MM.
Bob had a chance to shoot too.
After the moms and older teen girls left, the dads and younger teen girls did shoot their clay "pigeons" (I will use that term loosely since they aren't really pigeons at all, clay or otherwise)
I am not sure which she liked best, but she did say her shoulder hurt a bit this week.

Shooting the 9 mm is what she most wanted to try out. 
We had very little ammo for it so only a few of us tried it. It would be nice to go again, when we were less rushed and had more time to focus on hitting the targets! It was a fun way to spend the afternoon together although I can think of other things I would rather be doing......
Love Ellie~

No comments:

Post a Comment