Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Winter Treats


And, thus begins a long story of why I am posting photos from December and early January NOW. 

I have had my eye on a Canon Rebel Digital SLR for a long time. Costco would often rebate it and it came with lots of little extras like a camera bag and extra lenses. As Christmas approached and my family asked me numerous times what I wanted for Christmas, I made the comment that I didn't really want or need anything for Christmas. except for a new camera, even if it meant waiting longer. Unbeknownst to me, my dear husband had been saving all of his mileage money for months, so he could buy it for me. Our camera had broken earlier in the summer and we had been using Farmer Girl's camera as well as, occassionally, one I had bought for my mom in anticipation of Christmas. (I justified it's use by saying that if I learned how to use it I could help her when she had questions about it....). When The Graduate went to Turkey, she took Farmer Girl's camera since it takes wonderful shots and we were left with nothing (once mom's went in the mail....). So, it was wonderful to wake up to find this new DSLR under the tree Christmas morning. I immediately took a few pictures below.
Farmer Girl trying to figure out how to answer
 her ringing phone after finding it hidden under the tree.

Smiling as she figures it out and realizes it is her sister calling from Turkey.
We arranged with her sister ahead of time to call during our Christmas morning time. She enjoyed a nice conversation with her talking about Christmas apart from one another. It is ten hours ahead there so her day was winding down as ours started up. 

Showing off her red phone after talking.

Posing for the camera.
As the morning progressed, I began playing with my camera and the settings, trying to figure it out. I watched the included DVD and took additional photos, deleting them as I went.  
Days later, we traveled to the mountains for a winter retreat and a winter "treat".  I, of course, took my new camera and actually became the lone photographer since our friends had forgotten their charger for their new camera. I took many pictures, trying to figure out the best way to capture night shots on the ice skating rink or bright snow shots in the mountains of girls whizzing by on their skis and snowboards. I had to delete several for every one I saved. In the process, I got some great shots that I will show you over the next several posts. However, I, inadvertently, changed the setting to the RAW image setting which is the best possible setting. I got incredible shots, but I found that I couldn't download them to my blog or upload them to Facebook. And, although, I was able to get them on my computer, the kiosk at Costco and Walmart did not even recognize them on my card! It was as if they weren't even there. So, I have spent the last 6 weeks or so, despairing at how to get them out of my camera in a manner in which to share them. I found that I had a Solutions CD in amongst my camera supplies and was able, with the help of friend's son, change all of them to JPEG's, decreasing their size from about 24 MB to 10 or so! Now, I can share them with all of you and those friends who were missing their camera on our trip. I was able to upload to the Costco website and then copy to a disc. I am so happy to share them and so happy to have friends who are more tech savvy than me!Thanks so much! 
Below are some of my initial and better shots on our night of arrival. Enjoy and look for more in the days to come.

My youngest with my friend's oldest.

Middle child in an action shot.

Enjoying herself as evident by her big smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment