Monday, October 18, 2010

Bartering is Alive and Well

The Scribbler has been blessed with long tresses of golden toned blonde hair. We have no idea where she got this color as we are all brunettes! She has always worn it long although once long ago I encouraged her to cut it shorter for better manageability. As the girl cut it, she was in tears...it was very sad although I told her it would grow back and it did! :) I don't know if it is good for her to be so attached to her hair? Anyway, other than trims here and there, we have kept her hair length about the same. More recently, twice she went to a professional salon (versus the beauty school where it only costs $8) in order to be more daring. The first time, hardly a difference. The last time, she was more daring, but reluctant to cut too much due to the EMMA play and needing to be able to style it in a bun.

A few weeks ago, my hairdresser was in a need of a slogan or a design for her family business card and flyer. As we talked, she asked if my girls were artistic and I said they were, but in a totally different way. One is very concrete and detailed and one is very abstract and wacky although colorful. She asked me to have them come up with something incorporating her family farm name which means Green Meadow as well as the Basque symbol to  show their heritage and the lambs, chickens, veggies, eggs they are known for. They had a short deadline of merely days. She said she would pay the winner $25.  So, it was sort of a competition and they both kept their work away from the other.  On Monday, they showed me their work and I loved both of them. One was done in wonderfully blended colored pencils with much detail and the other was bright, fun and wacky. Both incorporated her instructions. On Tuesday, I took the original works to her so she could decide BUT she couldn't decide. She loved them both! She offered to do both of their hair for free and she used both their designs-one on her business card and one on her flyer. I wish I could show them to you. Perhaps I can scan them soon.....

Anyway, here is the Scribbler getting her new do! She went with a more layered look that can be curled or let dry naturally. It shows the many shades of color in her hair beautifully.


She looks a bit......unsure of it, huh? I just love it and am so happy to have this done for bartering because otherwise I don't spend this much money on haircuts for them!  Farmer Girl goes this week for her turn. Pictures to follow.......

No comments:

Post a Comment