Sunday, November 28, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving 2010

I hope you all had a wonderfully blessed Thanksgiving Day with family and friends. We were able, for the first time in a long time, to have friends over to share in our bounty in our own home. It was such fun to get everything ready, to decorate, to cook and prepare food for everyone. It was a wonderful time of food, fellowship and fun.
We started our preparation early in the morning. Some of us earlier than others as cleaning had been done by The Scribbler that day before and since Bob wanted to brine (soak in a seasoned saltwater solution to infuse the meat with flavor and moisture) the turkey this year, a first for us, he had been up earlier than most. At the last minute, we had discovered a tiny detail that not heeded, could ruin our bird. It was not a fresh bird so was injected with a sodium something that, once brined, could cause everything to taste VERY salty, too salty to eat. So, rather than discard the idea, he just soaked it a shorter amount of time AND then rinsed in cold fresh water. This caused him to have much interrupted sleep during the night.  Once in, he began his famous roll preparation which he only makes once or twice a year.  I always make two things: my sister's cranberry relish and her Sweet Potato casserole. Both of those were made early and beforehand to avoid the Thanksgiving Day kitchen chaos. In years past, I used to get the girls up to watch the Macy Day Parade as I did as a child, but they never understood why I made them watch it or enjoyed it very much, much to my disappointment. This year, we just had quiet music from a praise station playing, no TV.

This year, Farmer Girl helped her dad with the rolls. I thought these pictures looked like something from a cooking channel.

They doubled the batch for our houseful of company as well as to ensure leftovers! They are yummy in the morning with ham too.
 Too bad I didn't get a finished picture. What was I thinking? It was one of the last things to come out of the oven as guests arrived so I forgot in the chaos of deciding where everyone was sitting, where to put coats, shoes, and getting drinks..........some excuse, huh? 
 Our Ellie spent the morning relaxing on the dog bed. I thought this picture was hilarious when I found her here. I was also a bit envious of her leisure :).
 Doesn't she look sweet? She is either very sweet or very wild. We nicknamed her A. D. Manellie. Say it fast and it sounds like A Demon Ellie.
 Bill made both Cornbread Dressing and traditional. He also always makes deviled eggs that we served as an appetizer with olives, pickles, cheese, crackers and a Boursin cheese spread.  Something to keep the masses happy until dinner was served.
 The Scribbler thinking or is that waiting patiently?
 Chaos coming together. The Scribbler wanted to employ many of the ideas she gained at a recent etiquette and hospitality class. She set a lovely table with the help of her sister and myself.  Bob placed a 4 x 8 over our dining room table to enlarge it and then we added another table to make a "T". I was able to pick up these  plaid tablecloths at Walmart on clearance. I only wished I had bought another to cut up for napkins but due to the snowstorm I was unable to get back to get another one. One tablecloth would have made about 18 napkins I think! What a deal.
 Our company arrived in phases and here are three children representing all three families present that day to make a total of 19 people. I feel so blessed to have a home where we can open it up for entertaining with friends.
The turkey was done and we had this quick family picture taken for our Chirstmas cards.  Last year, our picture was taken in front of the house outside so this year we decided to do one inside. The Scribbler and I did not intentionally wear purple, but Bob did so he matched us. Farmer Girl opted to do her own thing.
It took some critical thinking on the part of the Scribbler to get everyone seated around our table so we wouldn't be squished and, although, we had tried to avoid anyone at the counter island, two volunteered to be there so it all worked out. Everyone was happy and in place although it was hard to get everyone in the picture!
Here are the two views necessary to include everyone, but I am still noticably absent. My seat was over by Bob on the far corner. The food was yummy, both plates full :) In addition to the turkey, we had all the fixin's as mentioned above as well as green bean casserole, ham, and cranberry relish and sweet tea.  I was so happy to unpack my crystal and china when we moved in. I hadn't seen it for over 8 years. Unfortunately I only have 5 fine china plates so our plates for today's meal were eclectic. The adults were served their drinks in my crystal iced tea glasses and the others were my every day Sweet Swirl glasses.
We all shared something we were thankful for as we enjoyed our food and after the blessing given by Nathan.
Afterwards, we played games including Apples to Apples, Pentago, Gobblet, and Battleship while enjoying pumpkin and apple pie provided by guests.
Some of our guests, perhaps, had too much sparkling cider? Too much apple pie?

It was a lovely day, spent with wonderful friends, full of many blessings and memories made to last. We are thankful for their friendship and their love.
 I hope your day was full of laughter and love too.
God bless, Ellie~

No comments:

Post a Comment