Sunday, February 6, 2011

All that Jazz

Our awesome and amazing advanced jazz band attended a Jazz Festival last week to compete as a single "A" band. Last year, they attended as an exhibition band because the college sponsor didn't really know where to put them since they were "homeschooled". Once they heard them play, they asked them to return to compete in their class. They played on a Friday morning four hours away in another state against 11 other bands and advanced to the finals. They played three songs, Madrid, a Latin song, All In, a swing song, and a ballad, "But Beautiful". One of our senior trombone players won for outstanding musician due to his solo in Madrid.
I was unable to attend that morning due to other committments, but once I found out they were playing in the finals that evening, I packed up and drove there to hear them. Four hours later, I arrived in time to eat dinner with them and then watch where they played Madrid once again and another swing song called "Hayburner". The double "A" bands also performed after them. The college jazz band played an exhibition while waiting on the winners to be announced. Our jazz band placed third although we thought they really had a shot at second. They did great and we were really proud of them. Below are some pictures of their evening performance and also a rehearsal video of PART of the Hayburner song during practice. Farmer Girl taped it one day and I am so glad because I was unable to tape due to a low battery. The Scribbler wanted me to make sure you know it is only part of the song! Also, you can't see her playing drum set, but you can hear her!

Outstanding Musician trombone solo

Standing at the end. The entire sax section had a solo too. You can see The Scribbler standing in the back too underneath our directors arm.




Getting their trophy. Sorry so blurry......
Stay posted for the other jazz band!
Thanks, Ellie~

2 comments: