Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Salvaged Shuttered Shelves

Wow, say that title three times fast! I think I must like alliteration as I love it when my titles all start with the same sounds....or in my series on our winter adventures when they all ended in "tion". However, I don't know what that is called? Um.....oh, yeah.....Rhyming? :) DUh!

Anyway, Bob, one incredible handyman, made some shelves over the last few weeks. He hasn't been working much at his day job due to a low census and high staff so he has been keeping busy around the house. He has had so much time off this last year, it's a shame there isn't more money, because he could have accomplished some great things with all of this free time!


This is one of those great things that didn't cost much as they were created from salvaged doors. He works with a nurse, (WHEN he works), who bought some property with a very old home on it many years ago. They tore down the house, but allowed anyone to come and take what they wanted before demolition. We missed some of the best stuff although we did come home with some stained glass that she later reclaimed. Her husband wasn't supposed to let anyone take it! However, we also got some six paneled doors, some windows, and LOTS of shuttered louvered doors which I hate. They have been setting outside leaning against our wellhouse for a couple of years. I wanted Bob to make some corner shelves from the six paneled doors like I saw at a local store that specializes in French country or shabby chic. However, we are in dire need of shelves for our boxes and boxes and boxes of books so we went with that instead. It was a perfect fit for shuttered louvered doors too!  

The shutters provided the support and structure, but he had to buy the shelves for them.

 I loved the rusty hinges and the distressed peeling paint. He, at first, thought he should paint all of them. Instead, he spent hours cleaning them with a small brush. He also looked for paint for the added shelves that would match the color underneath the dirt and grime. He brought several swatches home to match, but on the day he returned to buy a gallon, he found a can of "OOPS" paint for only $2. What a wonderful find and it matches perfectly!
 This is my favorite "distressed" part! He added the desk in the middle. It was The Graduate's idea to add the table legs so the desk could stick out further. I loved the idea! She helped paint and sand them too.

 Or maybe this is my favorite?
 He is also adding a shelf that will extend across the top of both bookshelves. He wanted me to make sure I told you that lest you think it looked weird without a shelf on top!
 Close ups of those wonderfully rusted hinges :)

I have not filled them up yet with books. I have been sorting books and bringing them down the attic stairs and up the house stairs. I will be sure to share with you the finished results.
PS
Lest you think, I haven't posted for two weeks because I have been busily cooking from the new cookbook, you are wrong. I have only tried two new recipes and both were deserts! I made her Strawberry Shortcake Cake that served two different events at my house: College Ready group and my Beth Moore Bible study group and I made her Knock You Naked Brownies for our monthly church Bring and Share. That hardly seems appropriate for a church event, huh? They were both yummy, but I have learned to use less butter and/or cream than she calls for with little difference in the amazingly good results. 
And, the reason I haven't posted? Too busy with too much. :)  
Good night. I am off to have a brownie......

.

No comments:

Post a Comment