Sorry to not have posted lately about the progress on the house. Maybe you haven't noticed. Maybe you are as tired of it as we are? :) We have experienced a range of emotions lately in the final phase. I think we were exhilarated and running on adrenaline in the last week of March thinking we might make final by the end of the month, until we came to a standstill with progress. A screeching halt, you might say. Not only that, but all of us became sick, Bob especially. He is still coughing and feeling bad.
Our handrail supplies had arrived, but we really didn't know where or how to begin. We decided to hire someone to do it, but finding an available contractor was harder than we imagined. The third man we called, scheduling 4 weeks out, recommended another man who was available and began work last Monday. Then do you remember the tiling of the master bath? Well, it was worse than I thought. The grout remaining on the tile had turned cementious (a new word I learned in the process of finding something that would remove it!) It is still not removed, but we are working on buffing it out. The grout in the cracks, where it belongs :), was varied in color and done really poorly. I can remember sitting there and just feeling so very tired and wishing I was done, aching all over. The grout didn't seem workable, was very crumbly and very uncooperative. So over the last week, we have been removing the grout. Who knew we would be RE-grouting so very soon after grouting!??? We will do that another day when we are not pressed for time with an evening event. I pray it goes better since removing grout is hard work!
We have also been interviewing tilers for the shower and have hired a man who starts next Monday. I have one major decision left-tile for the shower and how I want it arranged/designed. I am getting closer. I kept feeling overwhelmed about all the choices of tile, but kept reminding myself that I conquered lights, faucets, knobs etc so I could do this too. Speaking of doorknobs, ours on their way. However, I noticed on the confirmation that I inadvertently ordered one door knob that is polished brass! I am hoping to return it without a re-stocking fee! I had been so intentional, checking and re-checking the order for passage vs privacy, left handed vs right handed, oil rubbed bronze except on Farmer Girls door, but I missed that.
On to the pictures of our progress!

A close-up of our sink and the faucet with the insta-heat next to it. Bob wanted this really fancy faucet he found at a local plumbing supply place. It's cost? $1600.00!!!! This one about 1/10 that cost.

Our chimney hood with its little cover. Once the real hickory trim was placed on both the top and bottom, it did not blatantly yell at me, "I am just hickory veneer!!!" like it does in this picture.
Knowing we could not have our final done by the end of the month due to the handrail difficulties, we were still able to have our electrical final completed. They came out on the 30th and found only two problems. The first they would have passed us on anyway-there needed to be a protected shower recessed can light over the tub just in case some water ever got splashed 9 feet in the air! The other was a bit more serious- our kitchen outlets above the counters needed to be GFI outlets. Both were easy fixes completed by Bob that afternoon. We called for the re-check and passed! This sticker is on our box in the laundry room. What a relief!

Farmer Girl painted her closet with the "Oops" paint her dad found in the cart at Home Depot for $3. She found a trashcan at IKEA to match the green too.

A friend of the family and another previously homeschooling mom, has started making rag rugs. She began when she taught a class at our co-op. After the class ended, she kept making more and more, even being offered a place in a local store to sell them! She came out for a tour one day and offered to make Farmer Girl a rug to match her room. We hadn't been able to find one int he right colors. She completed this one using polar fleece in all the right colors. She delivered it one day to our co-op. I just love it. It is soft and so thick. I promised her I would post in on my blog so she could see it and how well it looked. Thanks, CB, it is just perfect!

In the midst of the chaos, I had a birthday. I was truly blessed on that day, all day. At our co-op everyone wished me happy birthday and even sang to me in assembly. I was so embarrassed! After my class first hour, I was greeted by this wonderful display of flowers and balloons as well as cards, an asparagus quiche (which was quite yummy) and a pot of tulips too. Afterwards for lunch, I dined at a local favorite restaurant with four dear friends. After breakfast for lunch amid gifts like my favorite lotion, fellowship and wonderful conversation, my dear hubby and younger daughter took me to dinner too. Too much food! and we still ended the day with coconut cream pie! Bob also bought me a new porch swing. Here it swings amidst the mess on our back porch.


And......our stairs once again, but in their finished glory. (I realized after my last post about the house, that I had repeated myself about the stairs and the story about them!!! So embarassing!)

The contractor finished them up this morning so we are ready for our final tomorrow!!!! Bob is taking the day off to be there for it. He will also be working on the room you can see in the background where the underlayment is awaiting tile. THEN our washer, dryer and cabinets can be installed.

So, tomorrow we could be officially "FINAL" as far as the county is concerned, but still much work to be done. We will be painting trim in the week to come and grouting the two rooms of tile. If you think of us, during your day on Friday, please send up a prayer or two, that we pass. It's been a long haul.
God bless you all,
Love Ellie~
That is one gorgeous handrail! I thought you meant a handrail on the left of the stairs, above the little lights in the wall. No wonder you needed someone to do it. Anyway, it is beautiful.
ReplyDelete