Once upon a time, long ago,when we lived in the deep south, I fell in love with my husband, but I also fell in love with a particular artist's work, a local artist who painted amazing pictures of girls. Her name: Patty Bannister. There was a gallery where her work was featured and I loved to go in there and just look and wonder at her talent. We purchased some of her work and have it in our house here. The one above is my favorite (sorry for the glare, I tried to get a shot without the reflection and glare....). We have several others of her work too, but this one, called Guinevere delights me and always has an honored place in our home.
Also, in that same gallery which also had other artists displayed, was the work pictured below. The artist is Robert A. Olson, but I don't know if the picture even has a name. It always captured my attention while in the gallery. I am not sure what drew me to it, but now I love it because it has a mom with two girls so it makes me think of me and mine.
I don't remember if it was our first purchase or a later one, but I do remember all the details that came in it's acquisition! Even though, at the time, we were DINKS (dual income no kids), it was not something we could purchase lightly or without much consideration. It just seemed too frivolous. Isn't it funny how humans realize how much they want something when they can't have it any more? Or perhaps, we just want it more because we can't have it anymore? Anyway, one time we went in the gallery and it was gone. Someone had purchased it. I was sad and discouraged that we hadn't bought it when we had the chance. The next time we went in, it was back on display. The person had decided not to buy it. Still we did not purchase it and, much to my chagrin, the next time.....yes, you guessed it....it was gone again.
Soon after, I had a birthday. I don't remember which one, but I awoke alone to an empty house. Bob had to work and I did not. There I found on the bathroom mirror a card with a clue sending me on a scavenger hunt. Once in the truck, I found another which led me to a friend's house where I found a gift from my sister and yet another clue. I spent the remainder of my day driving all over following the clues. I picked up flowers. I picked up a Precious Moment which I collected at the time. I picked up my cake at Sweet Stuff, the same place that did my wedding cake. I listened to new CD's found in the truck. Soon I found myself walking into the Bannister Gallery where I was met by this print framed as above setting on an easel by the door with a huge red bow on it AND another card with clue. The clue said to meet my dear husband at our favorite restaurant, The French Connection. There he greeted me with a single red rose, a kiss, and a lovely dinner. It was the perfect way to spend my day off celebrating my birthday. I teasingly told him he just needed me to run all of his errands. He reminded me that he had to run all those errands BEFORE me to drop off clues and make arrangements!
So, that is the story of one of my favorite pictures in the house and it now has an honored place in the living room next to our finished trim!
Aw, what a cute story! What a thoughtful husband. I was hoping to see a picture of that birthday date! : )
ReplyDelete