Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Frogs, Sharks, and Pigs, Oh, My!

Recently, at our homeschool co-op, I taught a Biology Dissection Class. It was kind of against my better judgement, but I did have the wherewithal and the knowledge due to my medical background. To tell you the truth, I really love history and would have preferred teaching about the Chocolate Bombers after World War II or reading Across Five Aprils to a class about the Civil War. However, there was a need for this and I had LOTS of helpers. We did frogs, sharks, and fetal pigs (thus the title above!!).  I cannot find my shark and frog pictures though so only pigs will have to suffice. It was fun for most of the students. The smell was the worst for the sharks as they smelled preserved as well as fishy. We didn't get to spend as much time with the pigs as I would have liked. There was so much more to learn from them, but we lost a day due to snow and then the quarter ended too soon! It was a lot of fun and it ended up being good for me.  I remembered things about anatomy and physiology long forgotten and lost in my brain. It was a great review and I remembered why I loved A & P in college. The body is an amazing creation! and so are all the creatures created by God. I hope you can "stomach" the photos......
My dear daughter and her friends on their assigned team. Evidently the smell or something is bothering them!


This team was a little more excited about dissecting, especially the girl holding the pig.


I love these guys! So attentive in class and ready with answers. Very respectful and a delight to have in class. You can still see my daughter showing her disgust with the whole process :)

This quarter I am teaching another science: Forensics. It promises to be interesting and exciting too. We are all going to learn alot.

Thanks for reading
Love Ellie~

No comments:

Post a Comment