Tuesday, May 17, 2011

New York, New York

We awoke to the wonderful news that we would be taking a chartered bus into the city instead of driving. YEAH, I did not relish the thought of finding our way again after the harrowing events of last night. Leaving the driving to someone else seemed a wonderful idea. We were all weary of traveling and of the added stress although looking forward to a day in the city of New York (I have never been there). However, I was prepared to not like it since our experience with Philadalphia and the evening had not been so great, fraught with big city stress for these small town folks :) We had breakfast before boarding the bus (some of us went in two vans as there was not a bus big enough for all of us). Traffic was horrible, just bumper to bumper in three lanes, on this large elevated off ramp to the Holland Tunnel. It was a nice day though, kind of cool, but sunny. I was so thankful I wasn't driving, oh so thankful. He dropped us downtown near Broadway and our first event-a Broadway Workshop where the kids and most of the parents were going to learn a medley of songs from The Phantom of The Opera before singing with an actor or actress from the musical. We were early, for a change, so had some time to wander the streets and enjoy the early Saturday morning of the Big City. Here are some sights and sounds of our day. Enjoy.

Memorial to the Firemen of Station 54 from 9-11.


Times Square in the morning.


A tribute to Dave Ramsey-rice and beans, beans and rice.

The smorgasboard or buffet in the Amish Market.

Lamb Gyros with drink for $5.95. Very good for lunch and super friendly owners.

This was really cool and as far as we could tell, it was a rental car station or something like that.

This is where we were SUPPOSED to eat dinner. Long story though.


Liked this shirt as The Scribbler is a lighting tech for community theatre. It says, " If All of Life is a Stage, I Want Better Lighting." LOL
I had hoped to write about our trip in a little over two weeks, posting a day of our trip each day. However, here it is over a month since our return home and I am just now nearing completion. I hope you have enjoyed it and aren't as tired of it as I am beginning to be. I feel as if I did when I was on the trip: I was just ready for it to end as I was exhausted although we were having an amazing time and enjoying doing things we had never done before or seeing things new to us. I wanted to chronicle all that happened while fresh in my mind so bear with me a little longer. Only two more days after New York City, but I do have two more posts on NYC.......
Thanks, Ellie~

No comments:

Post a Comment