Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Not All It's Cracked Up To Be

Actually, it was pretty amazing to see the Liberty Bell, but I have to tell you it was not as big as I thought it would be! We were chatting about it later and someone said the same, and then said, "It's not all it's cracked up to be" (thanks, Phineas) and I thought what a wonderful play on words and what a great title for my post!
After leaving Vally Forge, we drove to the Philadelphia rail station. It was called something like a speed rail and this station sat in a neighborhood, elevated in a parking lot. It was a lot different than I expected and not at all like the DC Metro. We had a really difficult time finding a parking spot so I called to warn everyone still behind us. However, on the other side of the highway, we spied two or three spots and snagged one of them. As we were contemplating whether we could stand in and save the others, they pulled up. One parked in a space at the end with lines and others parked along the fence and curb. We prayed no one would get a ticket or be towed. Parking along the curb seemed a common thing to do.
Once in the station, we were able to ask a commuter what to do and how to do it. She explained it all to us and we were very thankful. Once on the train, we had a long ride with a transfer as well. At the transfer station, she helped us out once again and showed us the way. We arrived and walked up the stairs, entering downtown Philadalphia near Independence Hall. A local had befriended me on the train and encouraged us to eat Philly Steak and Cheese sandwiches at a local place versus the food court. However, I was wary of venturing out on my own, preferring to stay with the crowd in unfamiliar territory. I was unable to reach some of the others to tell them of my "find" and encourage them to go with me before they had ordered after going to the bathroom, our first stop, in the food court. We actually purchased sandwiches in a chinese place,advertising a good deal. They were good, but not amazing. I wish I had had the courage and the fortitude to head out as it was only a few blocks. All of my traveling buddies were not with me today. One with one daughter had all ready gone home after Lancaster, the other two were in New York City visiting and staying with family. We tagged along with Phineas's family and began walking and exploring. We stopped at the Quaker Church and met a fellow dressed in period clothing and playing his role. We were then headed to Betsy Ross's house, when we received a call to go see the Liberty Bell BEFORE our tour of Independence Hall. It was not an included part of the tour and we might not have time afterwards. We diverted that way and queued up. The line moved quickly and we entered.  


Sorry about the sideways view again, but I wanted to show you the crack. My camera was acting up so someone else took a picture of us standing next to it and on the side of the crack.

I was able to take a picture on the other side. Isn't it kind of small?

Phineas's family and friends.

After our tour, we hung out in the Independence Hall Visitor Center for awhile until our appointed time for the Independence Hall tour. We entered a small room where our tour director gave us some background information and history.
It was under construction so didn't really look as nice as it could have. It was still EPIC to see the building where the Declaration of Independence was created.


It was so neat to see the inside and imagine the men here like George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, John Hancock, John Adams, Benjamin Franklin and so many more that took the risk, the treasonous risk, in declaring independence from England.

Listening to our guide recall the historical days nearly brought tears to my eyes.

Outside a statue of George Washington and near him, a spot where Abraham Lincoln had stood. I LOVE history.

I liked this old clock tower and now I notice it showing the time we exited the building, preparing to depart downtown and head to Jersey.
We decided to see one of many movies offered at the visitor center, but found that most of us were dead on our feet or would that be seat? I couldn't keep my eyes open, so upon exiting we opted for coffee. After coffee, we prepared to leave. Last stops at the bathroom and last minute souvenirs commenced. However, we were still missing some of our party.....we waited and waited, wondering and waiting why they were taking so long. After discovering, they were enjoying some sitdown time in the food court, they arrived and we hurried out. Taking the train out of the city was a bit more complicated as we had to buy tokens,but could only buy in packets of 2 (we only needed 3 total). The man at the tollbooth was not helpful, but merely confused with all of us. It was hectic and before we knew it, half of those in our party had jumped on a train and left without those of us still figuring it all out on the other side of the turnstile. Those who left were those we had WAITED on earlier!  We felt a bit betrayed having waited on them, but having them abandon us. Nevertheless, we got on a train, made our transfer, and found them waiting in the parking lot when we arrived. Thankfully, no one had parking tickets! Everyone jumped in their cars and we were told we were on our own with our maps and GPS's to get to the next hotel. I replied and opted to try and follow Phineas and her family in their 15 passenger white van as I didn't feel comfortable heading into foreign territory without some male protection. (I was one of two moms traveling alone on this portion of the trip).
We began driving north, mostly on toll roads, with me trying to stick closely to their van's tail. It was hard going with the traffic and the descending nightfall. Later, we stopped at a toll plaza for food at their foodcourt. Given our exhaustion, no one was really hungry, although Starbuck's revived me a bit. I told Phineas's mom that I knew how difficult it was to have someone following you so it wasn't necessary if they would rather not. She replied that apparently, the hotel was not in the best part of town, so I should stick with them.
With The Scribbler as my navigator, we headed out again. The directions became complicated and the turns confusing, as the GPS in the other van directed them to wrong turns or roads. We turned around a number of times, with me close to their bumper, not wanting to lose them in what was becoming scarier and scarier neighborhoods on this truck route we were on. Each time, The Scribbler, was able to say, "I think we should have.....or we needed to take the other road.....or...." After one turn, that led us in the obviously wrong direction with warehouses and abandoned buildings all around, she got a phone call asking us to lead. I said no as I feared I would lose them or lead them astray, but I heard her say, "We don't know which way to go.". (their GPS was off in its measurements or wrong) The Scribbler assured me she could get us there.
Reluctantly, I took the lead, choosing to turn around where they couldn't possibly do so, so they ventured further down the road, leaving our site briefly. We turned right once I saw them coming and had verbal confirmation they were coming down the road and could see us again. Once they were behind us, we had two quick rights to make although now we could no longer see the highway signs we had seen prior to our erroneous last turn. (we were directly underneath of them). We had to rely on our memory and take the risk. Had a moment of panic, asking The Scribbler which way to go, lots of traffic, fearing the wrong turn and getting hopelessly lost in a bad part of Jersey, horns blaring and cars coming from all directions and I yelled and she yelled back that she didn't know, but just TURN. We did and I didn't hear the screeching of brakes or the crunch of metal, and our white van, was right with us. I think it was soon after that, that we spotted the Comfort Inn and Suite sign, setting there in all of its splendor amidst the warehouse district and the highway. We pulled into the parking lot, and with relief and near tears, I relaxed, thankful to God for seeing us safely there. In the backseat, Farmer Girls burst into sobs, saying how scared she had been. I had no idea she had been so scared, having forgotten in the midst of it all, that she was back there, feeling helpless and scared as we fought off panic each time we turned the wrong way. She was reluctant to enter the lobby with everyone there and have everyone see her crying again (we did that a lot on this trip :)). However, we went in and found many congregated in the lobby, sharing their stories, and one mom directing one other lost family there via Google Maps on the computer and her cell phone. It had not been a good journey for many.
 We were immediately briefed on the possible presence of bedbugs and the necessary precautions. We found our room, adding three girls to our family group. However, we were in a room that only held 5 so some room reassignment had to occur before settling down for the night. WHEW, I was so glad to be there safe and ensconced with friends once again. The six of us decided on bed assignments and what time everyone wanted up in the morning before drifting off the sleep. I think I am ready to go home. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment