Monday, May 30, 2011

Trenton and Home



I didn't take many pictures this day. I think I was wore out from all the fun we were having :) We drove to downtown Trenton, capital of New Jersey (something I had forgotten) to visit the Trenton Barracks. We were also to visit the site of George Washington's Crossing of the Delaware afterwards which would be out of historical order, but better considering where we were starting this morning. 
We didn't even have time to tour the capital or take a picture. We parked and walked quickly to our tour, start time 9 AM or so we thought. We were actually scheduled for a a 10 o'clock tour. They were able to get us in around 930 which was good considering our drive time to Baltimore and our flight that afternoon.
It was a fantastic tour. The re-enactors did a great job intepreting the historical significance of this place. They lined us up in the yard and taught us about being in the army. We also visited the doctor for our physical as well as learned about the living quarters. The Smallpox vaccine was new and available so although primitive in it's administration, saved many soldier's lives. It was all quite interesting. One of my favorite places.

This guy was great and made us all feel a part of the action. I loved this shot of him with our band director.

Lined up after being conscripted into the army. We even had to take an oath!

Tellling stories to a captive audience. Although simple, this was one of my favorite places.

Showing us the many steps used to load and fire a musket. He did this demonstration twice for us and told us where the term Lock, Stock and Barrel came from. 


His compatriots, the doctor and...I can't remember who the other guy was!
We left here around 11 and headed to the Crossing. Upon reaching the park, we learned there was a lot of walking and it would be difficult to do in the time we had left. We didn't even exit our car, but drove away and headed to Baltimore Washington International Airport. We were back with our buddies this day and they suggested lunch at Chick-Fil-A one more time. And, as luck would have it, they ARE open on Mondays!
We ate there, filled up our tummies with way too much sweet tea and our gas tank with gas to top it off and turned our Chrysler 300 into Avis Rental Car. We hurried to the shuttle and arrived with minutes to spare to check our bags. Security was a breeze if you don't mind the shoes, the belts, the coats, the laptop and everything else put into the bins!  The Scribbler was stopped and her carry-on searched because they couldn't figure out what the peppermint sticks in her coffee mug were on the screen.
Afterwards, we had time to spare and many played cards or walked to get food. I wasn't hungry, but began to think about how long our flight was and how there would be no opportunity for food at the layover. With minutes until boarding, I ran down to this cute little deli (seemed so out of place in an airport). It had this cute little name too but I don't remember it. I ordered up a salad for The Scribbler and I to share and considered chili for Farmer Girl. However, I barely had time for the salad as our flight was boarding, the girls were waiting for me and calling in a panic because I wasn't there! I ran down the hallway and we boarded. It was a loooooong flightt to Salt Lake City, but I didn't sleep much if at all. We played trivia and tried to relax. Our next flight was shorter. We arrived in Seattle around midnight (I am forgetting details after only being home 6 weeks!). What if I had waited longer to scrapbook this information? The last flight was a bit bumpy and scary. I am not terribly fond of flying, but it does get you to places relatively quickly when necessary.  

Waiting on our luggage, tired and grumpy.

We still had over a two hour drive to get home.


Delta Flight 1557 which safely arrived at our destination exactly 13 days after departure!
Our drive home was uneventful although quiet. I tried to sleep and dozed a bit. Bob left the lights on for us and actually came out to welcome us home when we arrived around 3 AM. We immediately climbed into our beds, snuggled down under familiar covers and went to sleep as soon as our heads hit the pillows.  We were thankful for a wonderful time of memories made, (some best forgotten :)) and for traveling mercies every step of the way, but most for being home again, safe and sound.  
Thanks for putting up with all of our stories and being patient with my writing and posts. I am glad to be able to share it, so I will remember it later when I actually scrapbook all of the pictures. That is the beauty of blogging! Now, I am free to write about other happenings going on in our life! Stay tuned for more goings on in the life and times of our family.

Thanks, Ellie~

No comments:

Post a Comment