Monday, September 12, 2011

Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning?

Standing in the kitchen. Lovely fall day in ID. My oldest sitting at the little kids table eating breakfast while watching Magic School Bus on the tiny TV. Getting ready to go to the city for an eye appointment for my youngest. Husband playing hookie from work so he can be at appointment with us. All of a sudden, "Mom, where did the show go?" Stepping over to the TV to see what was happening and realizing her program had been interrupted by a special report. In disbelief, staring at the screen at one of the World Trade Center towers burning and smoking, reading the ticker tape on the bottom of the screen reporting the news of an  airplane flying into it. Thinking, as most did, that it was an accident, a horrible one, we continued to watch, reading the quickly changing updates, diverting her attention and telling her something had happened and her program was not coming back on. Switching channels, we watched news reports flooding the channels. Moving through the motions of preparing to leave, we realized we would be late if we didn't leave. We opted to take two cars, not knowing what the day would entail for my military nurse husband. He took the girls, leaving me with the instructions of listening to radio during the 45 minute drive to see what was happening, but not wanting little ears to hear and be frightened further. Driving the interstate, listening in disbelief as the other tower was hit and then the first one fell. It was surreal to drive down the road. Blue skies as far as the eyes could see. Cars moving past me as if nothing had happened. Entering the city, driving past the airport, wondering if other planes would crash as I saw many landing on the runway along the road.......wondering if we were safe here far in the Northwest.  Would more planes crash into our city? us? me? Were any of us safe? Alternately praying and crying, I reached the doctors office. Stepping from the car, I told Bob what had happened since we had left home. Continuing the "normal" and expected routines, I realized our "normal" was forever changed. Not knowing what the days would hold, after the appointment where all the talk was of the "disaster", my husband took the car and headed to base. I don't really remember getting home or anything else that day. I remember the numbing images plastered on the screens. Reports of people jumping and falling to their deaths, unable to imagine the terror for them and reports of further attacks. I remember shielding my children from those same images. Bob couldn't call, didn't call for hours.....I don't remember if he told me what happened when he came home the next morning or if he called me. I just remember feeling numb and not surprised that he didn't/couldn't come home due to his duty to his country, our country, the one that had been attacked on this beautiful fall day in 2001.
I learned that he sat for hours in traffic trying to get on base. Of course, the threat level had been raised to it's highest so getting on base was nearly impossible even for those who belonged. Hours were spent preparing to deploy medical teams to NYC, and once there, sitting on the tarmack for hours, only to be sent home. Sadly, medical teams for casualties/injuries were not really needed.
Days later, I remember going to base only to be greeted by barricades at the gate, by tents where soldiers were aiming machine guns at me and all those who entered or attempted to enter the gates, and by full vehicle inspections happening to each car.
This was our new "normal".
But, I also remember the flags EVERYWHERE. I remember the sense of our country coming together, the palpable patriotism and duty evident all around. The sense that these terrorists couldn't/didn't take away that which makes our country strong. I was proud of our military and our president as I listened to his speech at the National Cathedral. I cried at his words, but grew inspired by them. I took comfort in his choice of God's words and I still do these many years later.

Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September day ten years ago? There are many moments in the past that define lives or a generation like JFK's assassination or Pearl Harbor or the Space Shuttle disaster. For my generation, 9-11 had to be the one where we will always remember vividly what we were doing, where we were going and how our world changed as a result. Moments that we remember, moments that take our breath away, good ones or bad ones.
This song, popularized after 9-11, kept running through my head this weekend. It is written and performed by Alan Jackson. Perhaps you have heard it? or perhaps you will draw comfort from it or find familiarity in it?

Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September day?
Were you in the yard with your wife and children
Or working on some stage in L.A.?
Did you stand there in shock at the sight of that black smoke
Risin' against that blue sky?
Did you shout out in anger, in fear for your neighbor
Or did you just sit down and cry?

Did you weep for the children who lost their dear loved ones
And pray for the ones who don't know?
Did you rejoice for the people who walked from the rubble
And sob for the ones left below?
Did you burst out in pride for the red, white and blue
And the heroes who died just doin' what they do?
Did you look up to heaven for some kind of answer
And look at yourself and what really matters?

[Chorus:]
I'm just a singer of simple songs
I'm not a real political man
I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell
You the difference in Iraq and Iran
But I know Jesus and I talk to God
And I remember this from when I was young
Faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us
And the greatest is love

Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September day?
Were you teaching a class full of innocent children
Or driving down some cold interstate?
Did you feel guilty 'cause you're a survivor
In a crowded room did you feel alone?
Did you call up your mother and tell her you loved her?
Did you dust off that Bible at home?
Did you open your eyes, hope it never happened
Close your eyes and not go to sleep?
Did you notice the sunset the first time in ages
Or speak to some stranger on the street?
Did you lay down at night and think of tomorrow
Or go out and buy you a gun?
Did you turn off that violent old movie you're watchin'
And turn on "I Love Lucy" reruns?
Did you go to a church and hold hands with some strangers
Did you stand in line and give your own blood?
Did you just stay home and cling tight to your family
Thank God you had somebody to love?

[Repeat Chorus 2x]
And the greatest is love.
And the greatest is love.

Where were you when the world stopped turning that September day?

God bless you all and God bless America
Love Ellie~


No comments:

Post a Comment