
We are not quite ready to call an end to summer here yet, but we have begun thinking about it and planning what will be a bit different for us. The Scribbler will be in 11th grade this year which is difficult to believe. As she begins her next to last year in school, we are looking forward. We are praying God will provide us with guidance as we face decisions about her future whether it be college or something else. She has followed what you could call a college track most of her high school years and prior to that as well. She has done upper science as well as math, having completed both Algebra I and II and Biology and Chemistry. We were contemplating Physics as that seems to follow the above, BUT she is going to pursue something that interests her more: Marine Biology or Nutrition instead plus Geometry which doesn't appeal to her so much! I don't know about you , but I hated Physics and her dad didn't have it. I am not sure I see the need for it unless she thinks she might do something in the health or science fields. Her giftings seem to lie in the language arts areas of writing, literature or music however. In preparation for possible college, we considered a program called College Plus which allows students to complete a 2 year Bachelor's Degree from home on-line in a fraction of the time and the cost whilst simultaneously completing high school. We weren't quite sure we really wanted that route at this time, but wanted to allow her to complete high school first. However, this year they offered something called College Plus Prep. This is an at home on line program that she completes within a "pod" of students with an advisor and mentor. It offers classes and courses that will benefit her regardless of her future pursuits: Logic, thinking skills, Christian worldview, Dynamic Memory and Study Skills course, an Advanced Communication Series and a Maximum Speed Reading course. At the end, with assistance, guidance and preparation, she will be able to CLEP two courses and if she passes, gain 12 college credits! A good start for college and if that is not God's plan for her, all of these will benefit her in other areas of her life. So, we have been slowly easing into this program with a beginning in the logic module using The Fallacy Detective, The Thinking Toolbox and the video Logic in 100 Minutes. She reads the assignment and together we discuss the reading. It has spurred some wonderful discussions and I look forward to spending time with her in the coming year. We will keep you posted on her progress.
Speaking of progress, just an update on the house: Still painting, getting back into plumbing and dealing with rainy weather, making decisions about faucets, planning electricity, making more decisions about trim and lights above the sinks etc. Not sure I am going to share with you the results of the painting poll. It would be fun for you to wonder..........and see the finished product. when it is done. I have to save something for the end! It looks nearly done on the outside and I am wondering what I am going to post in the coming weeks. Plumbing, although important, is rather boring to see as is electricity! Hmm........
I will sign off with some pictures from our day at the lake. Could be our last as summer draws to an end although we are planning one more this week. We will see if the weather improves. It's been rainy, windy and cool although today the sun is trying to come out and stay out.
Trying to rest in God's provision and blessings,
Love Lori~
No comments:
Post a Comment