In an effort to win some local scholarships, we have spent the last month organizing and compiling a notebook of The Scribbler. It is a simple (HA!) compilation of academic achievement and activities highlighting her high school years. I have been driven to dig through rubbermaids looking for certificates and frantically trying to remember what class she took when and how she did (that last part wasn't so hard since she has always risen up to challenges and succeeded in what I have placed in her path). Putting it all together in a succinct one page transcript has been more difficult. Finding teachers and asking them to write recommendations was a bit difficult too given that I am her primary teacher and I CAN'T write it. However, she has been blessed with many mentors and other teachers such as the one who motivated her creativity and encouraged her to write, discovering her natural gift and ability for putting pen to paper. Or her band teacher who wrote of her accomplishments in both concert and jazz band as lead percussionist (this was really a boon for her as he doesn't give compliments freely and to hear what he had to say was reassuring to her). Or her mission leader, who wrote things about her willingness to serve and work at the mission regardless of the job, blessing others with her attiutude. Or her pastor, teacher and mentor who has watched her work hard in PE, doing well even without a natural ability at sports, and has watched her mature in her walk with the Lord. It has been a blessing to read these letters and I thank everyone who took the time to share their kind words. I still am working on the application and The Scribbler finished her summary late last night, but it still needs some polishing. It is hard to put your life onto paper in a succinct and enjoyable way. It is a great lesson in humility. Our deadline is Monday although Tuesday is the LAST day they will be accepted. We took some time this weekend to take some pictures for the cover of the book. We went to some nearby parks while the rain clouds had dispersed a bit. We couldn't find much green though. Everything looked so brown and gray......I thought I would share some of the shots with you.
I had difficulty getting the blog program to load my pictures right side up so I had to leave out some of my favorites. However, our very favorite is at the bottom is sideways. Sorry you will have to turn your head to view it......
I hope you enjoyed our little photoshoot. I have learned much from this process of compiling the notebook and her transcript: Keep good records and write things down as your child matures, especially in high school. All the stuff before doesn't seem to matter to the colleges or the scholarships. Although, my next job is to make her reading list..........and it is extensive, including her readings, my read alouds and any audios. WHEW. Bookcase and library catalog, here I come!
Love Ellie~
No comments:
Post a Comment