Friday, November 13, 2009

Drywall Begins...

Sheetrock was delivered early Tuesday morning and it took a great while to unload it all. Two men unloaded mostly 4 x 12 sheets for several hours. Carrying it up the stairs was the most difficult for them as they could only do one at a time. They didn't look happy (it was the delivery guys NOT the sheetrockers/drywallers). They stacked it against walls, windows and doorways including our back door, the one we use the most. Now we enter from the front or through the side door, the mudroom door. On Wednesday, nothing happened although we did some MAJOR
clean up, sweeping up stuff in between the studs one last time......Everything extraneous was removed and it looked as clean as we could make it. The sheetrockers showed up Thursday afternoon and went to work! I was amazed at how fast just two of them moved. I commented on it and they just shrugged their shoulders. I clarified my statement by telling them it would have taken us so much longer and it had when we did the garage! They told me there would be 4 of them on Monday including their foreman who was hunting. Below are some shots of the progress made today (Friday)........ Looking down the hallway from the mudroom into our bedroom. Pretty large shadow on the wall, huh? The ceilings are completely done downstairs except for our vaulted livingroom which they will do while on scaffolding and probably when the other guys show up!
There is the fellow with the shadow. Not so large in person. This is the hallway/kitchen wall with the pantry door and entry. It looks so light and bright now.
Here is our entryway with our doorguards replaced. They had blown off in a windstorm last week. That was part of our clean up so the doors would be protected from the work. Note the very messy floors again.....they don't look like wood anymore as they are all white. I am hoping they sweep it all up as I don't want to deal with drywall dust! I am thinking it was all part of the bid. So far I have been impressed with their work so much. They are efficient, courteous, and friendly. The best part is that this is the contractor I wanted to use all along. We gathered several bids and I knew this business was one of the best although others also said the most expensive. I had resigned myself that we would have to use another contractor who was a bit cheaper but also came recommended by two other builders who are friends. HOWEVER, in comparing the bids, I realized the latter did not include tax so my first choice was in fact cheaper as it included tax! Hurrah! Everyone tells me I will be very pleased. Finding and working with a good sub is always our goal. In all likelihood, this will be our last hired contractor so it will be pleasant to end with a good experience! AND, one of the best things, is that the port-a-potty will not be needed any longer and we will be $85 richer each month. Tomorrow, we are off to shop for tile, flooring, and any other good deal we might find.
Happy Weekend, Ellie~

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful! This is such a messy stage, but so satisfying as well, you can really get the feel of the house now and begin to see where you want to put things...what color you want to paint the walls etc. I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete