

Ta-Da! Our very first chicken egg! How exciting it was to find in the corner of the chicken coop (our nesting boxes are still blocked as we did not expect them to lay all ready). We will fix that tomorrow. We don't know which chicken laid it, but we do know it was an Americauna because it was a light green color and only Americaunas lay colored eggs. Blue and green are the most common, and pink is rare. My mom laughed when I told her we were getting chickens that laid colored eggs. She didn't think there was such a thing and, up to that point, neither did I! We are not sure how long this one was out there so we are not eating it, but now we know to search for more every day! I will try and take some updated pictures as they have really grown. You should see our roosters and hear them crow!
Good night, Ellie and the gang~
PS In case, you didn't know this story, "The Egg and I", it is about the family, Ma and Pa Kettle. Their farm was actually up here in the northwest. The book is quite famous and is supposed to be an amusing book to read.
HI, you would probably be fine eating it...they are surprisingly sturdy little things! We usually got 2 eggs every three days from our Americauna. We did have one that laid pink eggs, but mostly light green like yours! Good Job!
ReplyDelete