Sunday, August 30, 2009

Summer Bounty 2

My garden, such as it is, is finally beginning to produce some produce :). Below is one of five of our Savoy Cabbages. Someone gave me some starts in the spring and they are looking rather nice. We are hoping to use them in one of our favorite summer eats: green beans, new red potatoes and ham. Bob likes to add cabbage too although I didn't grow up with cabbage in this dish. He usually puts it in last and just steams it to perfection. I don't mind it and he loves it this way. Our girls are not big fans of this dish. Fresh corn on the cob, sliced tomato and cornbread complete this meal.These green beans did not come from my garden, but a neighbors who is a better gardener than I! We have harvested some, but only enough for a few meals. This is what we will use in the above mentioned meal. Now I have heard if you have to buy zucchini in the summer, then you don't have any friends! That is so true, but I hope you don't wait for me to share with you. I NEVER have luck with zucchini in my garden so I depend on the kindness of friends (AND strangers) to give me some. We did harvest this very nice ONE and you can see some more coming on. There are a lot of flowers in my small raised bed garden, but I don't think we will have the warm weather to produce many more.What do most of you do with your zucchini? I usually make zucchini bread and we love it fresh from the oven. BUT I have a friend who makes this amazing relish. She has a beautiful garden and when her fridge had over 12 zucchini, she invited me over to learn how to make it. I slipped away from the house building to spend about 5 hours making this. It is YUMMY although this picture does not do it justice. I will share the recipe with you.

10 cups chopped unpeeled zucchini (about 7 meduim)
4 cups chopped onion (about 4 large)
1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
1 Can, 4 ounces, chopped green chilies
3 T canning salt
3 1/2 cups sugar
3 cups vinegar
1 T ground turmeric
4 teaspoons celery seed
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
In a large container, combine zucchini, onion, pepper, chilies, and salt. Stir well. Chill overnight. Rinse thorougly, drain. In a large kettle, combiine remaining ingredients, bring to a boil. Add zucchini mixture, simmer 10 minutes. Ladle hot into jars, leaving 14 inche headspace. Adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath. Yield: 5 pints.
Enjoy, Ellie~

No comments:

Post a Comment