Saturday, June 26, 2010

Pioneer Woman Cooks



Trying to avoid butter dishes at the moment. Difficult to do when the Pioneer Woman loves butter! Yesterday, although tempted to make something sweet for breakfast, I opted for the breakfast burrito. Before attempting that I had to make the potatoes for it though. I just happened to have red potatoes in the house which is often NOT the case. I did not have bacon grease though so used some of my sausage drippings. My sausage was not spicy breakfast sausage either, but instead it was just sausage patties from the freezer, I simply cooked them and chopped them up for the burritos. I used my mini peppers sliced instead of red pepper too. AND, I didn't have Monterey Jack cheese so I used my cheddar cheese. Perhaps I didn't make Ree Drummond's AKA Pioneer Woman's breakfast burrito, but instead made my own! :) Ellie's Excellent Burritoes? They were OK. I didn't use the right kind of skillet so my potatoes stuck and didn't crisp up the way she recommended so let's blame user error and not her recipe. I would only give it a 3 Paws up.......enjoyed them as leftovers too.

Today, I made her chicken pot pie and it was wonderful! Definitely 4 Paws Up and a Tail Wag. In order to make it, I had to make her pie crust. I didn't have the 1 1/2 cups of Crisco it called for so substituted (once again) butter for the last little bit. The crust was flaky, very tasty and moist. It made enough for three crusts so I froze the remainder. The filling for the pie was also very tasty and I had all the ingredients too. I did add just a touch of skim milk to the whole cream though....just seemed too sinful. The filling filled two pie plates so one is in the freezer. I LOVE how her recipes make so much. I want to make her Chicken Spaghetti again for that reason and, of course, because of how yummy it is!

Tonight, since we are going on a mandatory mission meeting tomorrow that involves travel with our group, I decided to make her Cinnamon Rolls. They are baking right now and I am enraptured by the smell of the cinnamon and butter. I can't wait to taste one. They have Maple Icing on top or will have when they cool. I have to say, I didn't use all the butter for the filling. I just COULDN't do it! It called for 2 sticks melted butter. I only used one for both rolls. Each roll made about 18 rolls on a tray so 36! I also halved the sugar, but went heavy on the cinnamon. The icing has powdered sugar in it plus maple flavoring and some strong coffee. It's the same topping that is on the scones. Wait a moment while I go try one so I can let you know the result.........




Oh, YUM......they are melt in your mouth delicious......I love the hint of maple and the coffee addition..........They are simply wonderful even without all the butter and sugar. It's just too crazy to even consider how amazing they would be HER way. Let me know if you try it and what you decide.

Good night, I am going to go and finish my cinnamon roll.......Oh, yes, my other goal, you ask? The one regarding reading Jane Austen? Well, I was making good headway until Farmer Girl confiscated my book. I had reached page 105 or so in Emma. It is wonderful to read Austen. I would highly recommend it! Oh, and the house? Well, we had our knobs and pulls put on our cabinets in the kitchen and it has made getting into them so much easier. Other than that, not much headway. Life is keeping us busy. Oh, that and ALL that cooking! :)

God bless, Ellie~

1 comment:

  1. lol! Fantastic! I read her whole cookbook through in one sitting! I laughed out loud many times! She's just a terrific writer! So I made the "egg in a whole" for Mike. But I called it a "toad in the whole" because I think that's more fun to say! :o) I also made her oatmeal crispies last night--they were perfect! I added chocolate chips and I used organic shortening and fresh ground pastry flour. They turned out so big and well...perfect! I'll definately make them again!

    I was going to make the cinnamon rolls this morning, but didn't. I have it in mind to do though! Thanks for the tips about the butter and sugar! Good job! She looks like she can afford to eat all that butter... but I CAN'T!!

    ReplyDelete