Our framer did a final walk through with us this week. He finished up anything still left undone or anything we wanted him to finish per plans. We were able to get our sheer wall inspection and, except for a few spots that needed more nails, we passed. Yeah. He finished up the closets, the stair railing, the shower and pony walls and other "odds and ends." There was some revision done to Farmer Girl's room due to a wall not matching up. Previously the entry to an extra room was through her room. She didn't like that and it was one of the few things, I still had misgivings about in the design. It just seemed awkward to me. Well, when the wall between her room and the stairs did not match the door facing into the bonus room, we decided to move her door and the bonus room gained its own entry. You can kind of see it in the picture below which is Farmer Girl's closet and door. If you look past her door, you are looking directly into the bonus room, but there is a small hallway to get there. The entry to her room had been coming in and facing the closet and then turning left. Now she just walks in. She lost some floor space, but it wasn't very usable space anyway. She was ecstatic actually so it all worked out for the best.

I did tell our framer that she still thought her room was smaller than the Scribblers. He said, "everyone in America has a room smaller than the Scribbler!" It does look rather large, but the square footage is actually comparable and Farmer Girl has many more windows. Although The Scribbler does have a rather large closet and did I mention the skylight? This is her closet (she gained some extra space under the slope in the back) and her only two windows, one of which is functional. She also has a tiny little window down near the floor that was supposed to be an "awning" window. Found out, county code would not allow a window that low that was functional. So she still has it, but it is only for light. The Chef said he would make her a stained glass for it one day.....

Also, found out I had to decide about my wood stove right now! I thought I had months for that since it is one of the last things to go in, BUT the chimney had to go in so the roofer would shingle around it. Who knew? I am amazed at how many things I have to decide about today or yesterday would have been better!

And speaking of odds and ends, The Chef is beginning our plumbing. See all those connectors and such spread on the floor. He is slowly making sense of it all with the help of friends and a retired plumber acting as consultant. It is all confusing to me. All I know about plumbing is that it must go downhill! With all the other decisions, I am leaving it up to The Chef. I don't think I can comprehend all the details and just want to make it easy for him so he can get it done. I will cook, mow, help out, make phone calls, hold things for him and even crawl under the house if necessary (fortunately, Farmer Girl actually likes to do that), but don't ask me to explain it or figure it out! Yikes.

So, things are slowing down a bit with not much visible change. We are hoping to get the roof done as soon as the vents are in and the gutters will follow after that. A friend is coming in late July to help out. He likes heights so we are hoping to have him side and paint our dormers on that steep 10/12 pitch. Anyone else interested? Once plumbing is done, electric will follow. Another large learning curve for all of us. Will keep you posted. Promise.
No comments:
Post a Comment