Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Trendy Corbels

What is a corbel you might be asking yourself right now? And how are they trendy? Well, it is kind of a standing joke with our framer and myself. A few weeks ago, we started talking about our entryway and what kind we wanted. Our framer, let's call him, Deuce :), wanted to make sure I got a look I wanted so he began describing to me about glulams, cardecking, tongue and groove and corbels. None of which I understood except the glulam part due to the large one in our livingroom. For those of you who know me well, you may have realized I am a very visual learner (but maybe not as it is only since I began teaching my children did I even begin to make this distinction). So, he offered to show me some of his creations around our area. I had all ready seen one I was particularly fond of, but needed to see the possible differences to make an informed decision. One of my decisions involved how to finish off the ends of the glulams, with what kind of corbel? One with an angle, straight or with a lovely kind of wavy swoop and curve. I saw the latter kind at our first stop, then at a few other stops. Deuce was a bit concerned that that one was a bit "trendy" as we kept seeing it even at the entries he had not designed. Later, I told him I think I actually favored the "trendy" corbel. He was a bit embarassed, imagining I was offended at his use of the trendy comment. I actually didn't mind at all as that one was my favorite although apparently everyone else likes it too! So that is what he did for our entryway. :) and here you see it below. Isn't it a lovely trendy corbel? And isn't it lovely, how we are learning all this new vocabulary?














This is the lovely completed look with door showing and all. Deuce said he liked my choice of a door. He said it went well with HIS entryway! :) I was glad to hear it as I was so worried about not being able to get the wood door of my dreams and hating the alternative. What do you think?
The Scribbler gave it a big thumbs up too and here she is waving good bye to you all! Good night and God bless, Ellie~

1 comment: