Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Monday Morning Blues

I woke up Monday morning and spread every last color sample I had acquired on my all ready overflowing dining room table. The cat, Sara, enjoyed rolling around all over them. I was overwhelmed by the amount. Slowly I began discarding the ones that just didn't work and then I began eliminating duplicates. Still the task was daunting.These are the things I knew: I knew I wanted a basic taupe/brown/tan for the majority of walls. I knew I wanted a darker one for the peaked wall in living room. I knew I wanted a blue as an accent wall in both dining area and in my bedroom. Upstairs the girls have chosen their room colors and I know, kind of, what I like for the loft and bathroom...... I imagined I would be working on this all day.
Bob was home on Monday to await delivery and assist with installation of the woodstove at 9 AM. (that in itself is a whole other story!) Anyway, he walked in and asked me what I was thinking? I told him the above knowns and he picked up a brown, then another darker that complemented it. Then he questioned me about where and what I envisioned for the blues/greens. He snagged one that caught his eye and placed with the two browns. He asked, "Do you like these? Can you live with them?" I did and I could. So, we were done. That quick. My agonizing was over and the burden was gone. I felt so light as I had been so anxious, even more so with all those choices spread before me. I was so glad to have that decision over!

The samples are still spread on the table as I am still pondering the loft and bathroom, but we have made forward progress and can get to work. I ordered up the tinted primer this morning. We are waiting for texturing to dry, a slow process since it is SOOOOOO cold here. We found out accidentally that we must have vapor barrier in our primer which doubles our cost on primer! The county failed to tell us this, but an acquaintance, in passing, mentioned that they had to do this a few years ago when they had built. It was providential that we ran into one another and chatted last weekend as we don't see each other very often or talk at length. We are hoping that our neighbor, the retired painter, will be willing to spray the primer and save us time there. Will find out today.

As far as the woodstove, we had ordered it in the summer so the vent pipe could go in with the roofing. At that time, we asked to do the install ourselves to save money(always looking for ways to do that). The installation was very nominal so Bob decided to have them do it. I called to schedule a time for them to deliver and do installation. I was generous with the date, thinking for certain that we would be ready. She told me we would be dropped to end of their schedule if we changed the date. Twice last week I called her to see if we could change the time as drywallers would not be done. NO GO. So, Bob tiled the small 3x5 area in preparation for the installation. We were worried it would not dry or set. The deliverers showed up around 915 Monday morning and asked Bob where to put the stove, oblivious to fact that they were supposed to install it. The receptionist has since said I didn't tell her that. Anyway, they were willing to do the install, but said, "We shouldn't do it now and get in the way of the drywallers." Bob readily agreed as that is what we had been telling them for a week or more. They told him they would come back on Saturday and it wasn't a problem! So, it has worked out for the best after all.

Have a great day! Ellie~

1 comment:

  1. Phew! Okay, when I told you to pick the colors that you liked I didn't think you would like THAT MANY!! So glad your husband could come through and help you with that! That's why being married is a blessed thing! Wonderful balance!! I'm glad things are working out! Blessings to you and the family!

    ReplyDelete